Answered Question - Disney Parks Moms Panel
- Hi Kimberly!
My family and I will be there 3/28-4/3/2013 to celebrate a sweet 16 and other b-days. This trip, my 85 y/o mother will also visit. Do you have any suggestions so that I can make this a totally awesome experience for Mom?
- - Asked by Joyce on 2/9/2013
- Hi Joyce! Thanks for visiting me here on the Moms Panel! I think it's terrific that your mother will be traveling with your family! I have traveled to Walt Disney World with my octogenarian father, and I'm very happy to report that seniors can have a fantastic time, too!
Here are several of my top tips:
Please don't hesitate to write back with any additional questions. I have some specific advice on which attractions and shows appeal to senior guests.
- Since there is a lot of walking involved when touring a theme park, consider renting a motorized scooter (also known as an ECV: Electric Conveyance Vehicle) or renting a wheelchair for your mother on some or all days of your stay. This really helps to reduce fatigue and allows senior guests to "keep up" with the rest of the family.
- Stop to take breaks throughout the day. I highly recommend returning to your resort in the mid-afternoon for a rest, swim and snack. You can also have lunch at your resort. After your resort break, return to the theme parks for any scheduled evening entertainment (parade, fireworks, etc.).
- Make dining reservations at a reasonable time for your mother (in other words, avoid an 8:00 PM dinner reservation time).
- Include your mother in your family's vacation planning decisions. Review together the various attractions and shows offered at each of the four theme parks and ask her which ones she is most interested in experiencing and seeing.
- Stay hydrated! Bring refillable water bottles for each family member and refill them as needed at counter service eateries (just ask a Cast Member) and/or water fountains located in the theme parks.
Moms Panel in:
Panelists have received/will receive a Walt Disney World Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland Resort or Disney Vacation Club vacation for panelist and up to three family members and/or park tickets for their participation on the Disney Parks Moms Panel. The views expressed in the Panel are those of the panelists, who are independent contractors. These views are not intended to reflect the opinions of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online, its affiliates, its management, its agents or its employees and have not been reviewed or approved by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online prior to posting.